As soon as Mr. Kim was admitted to the State Bar and able to practice law as an attorney, he was invited to form a new partnership. He opened Miller Washington & Kim, LLP, with Tom Miller, a long-time personal injury attorney, and Natashe Washington, a former prosecutor of heinous crimes in Cape Town, South Africa.
Since then, Mr. Kim decided to part from the LLP and establish the Hee J. Kim Law Firm, PC. Mr. Kim focuses his practice on special education law, personal injury and contract disputes.
At the LLP, Mr. Kim and Ms. Washington managed the firm’s special education practice. Their expertise led to an amicable settlement in the majority of the due process complaints they filed on behalf of K-12 students with special needs. More importantly, these settlements included terms that addressed the parents’ core concerns. While the firm aggressively pursues litigation when necessary, less than 1 out of 10 due process complaints filed by Miller Washington & Kim, LLP, since the beginning of 2011 have gone to a due process hearing.
The LLP’s personal injury practice, led by Mr. Kim and Mr. Miller, ranged from minor injuries to wrongful death cases. Mr. Kim directly prosecuted or oversaw the successful obtainment of millions in judgments and settlements for the LLP’s clients. Mr. Kim was also asked to assist in the defense of multiple personal injury cases, typically involving serious injuries or death, that were brought against private individuals, corporations, and public entities.
Mr. Kim has helped clients with various contractual disputes, from partnership and shareholder agreement disputes to commercial and residential lease breaches.
Mr. Kim is a first-generation Korean-American and was born and raised in Sonoma County, California.
Admissions and Memberships
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of San Francisco, School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., Legal Studies, Highest Honors
- Student v. Oakdale Joint Union School District, OAH Case No. 2011120409
- Student v. Brentwood Union School District, OAH Case No. 2012060919
- Student v. Santa Clara Unified School District, OAH Case No. 2012060055
- Student v. Hollister School District, OAH Case No. 2012080366
- Student v. Mt. Diablo Unified School District, OAH Case No. 2012110641
- G.R. v. Brentwood Union School District, Case No. 12-CV-06326-JST (N.D. Cal.)
- Student v. Oakland Unified School District, OAH Case No. 2013050644
- J.G. v Oakland Unified School District, Case No. 14-CV-00366-EDL (N.D. Cal.)
- Student v. Oakland Unified School District, OAH Case No. 2014071037
- Oakland Unified School District v. N.S., Case No. 14-CV-05569-JSW (N.D. Cal.)